In Loving Memory

  • Remembering my beloved child, Austin, who passed away at the early age of 14. He lived more in those 14 short years than most and is an inspiration to us all.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Mamaw June's with Austin

One of the comforts in June passing was knowing who was meeting her at Heaven's gates. I know Austin was among the first to welcome her in. In fact, there were several moments in the past weeks at the hospital that I would feel his spirit, or smell his cologne, and know he was with her.

Her funeral today solidified my feelings...

June's funeral service was read from 2 Timothy, Chapter 4, on her pastor's own doing. When 2 Tim 4:7 was read, I knew it Austin letting us know his Mamaw is safe and well and with him. Tim, my mom, and I all shared a glance, followed by goosebumps and tears.

That was the same scripture used at Austin's funeral service 18 months ago. What a blessing it brought Tim & me to hear it again today.

"I have fought the good fight, I have completed the race, I have kept the faith."

The scripture meant so much to us that we had bookmarks made to give out to friends and family after his funeral. However, until this weekend we had no contact with Brother Calvert, the preacher June chose for her service. He actually wasn't her pastor, he was her sister's, and came to know June during her battle this past month.

I asked him, with a shaky voice, after the service if someone had requested that verse for him to share today. He said no and asked why and I was honored to share. Tim and I have no doubt it was Austin and God's doing. Austin knew that scripture would speak to us...of the thousands of scriptures that preacher could've chose, those words came upon his heart. And we know it was to tell us she was happy, healthy, and with her sweet grand baby.

Noah told me the night she passed that he bet Austin was already having her cook him some fried chicken, dumplins and mashed potatoes. He said, "I'm gonna miss her cookin but I'm glad Bubba has her there."

And I know he'll have a huge celebration next Thursday for his Sweet 16, with his Mamaw June right there by his side, as drives her on streets on gold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...