In Loving Memory

  • Remembering my beloved child, Austin, who passed away at the early age of 14. He lived more in those 14 short years than most and is an inspiration to us all.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Chef Austin

Austin loved food. Like his mom, he loved to try new things but he also had his favorites.

He loved his Mamaw B's baked steak, and country breakfasts and Papaw's grilled veggie bags. He loved his Mamaw June's fried chicken, dumplins and dressing. He also loved his Aunt Vivian's enchiladas and never failed to tell me that mine didn't compare!

He was an expensive date because he had a big appetite and always wanted to try new things. I never denied him though and would sometimes order less for myself, if I needed to stay within a budget. I loved to see him happy and enjoying good food.

I have great memories of cooking with Austin too. He loved summertime because our kitchen expanded to the back deck. He loved to help me grill, especially if squash was on the menu. We always enjoyed baking together during the holidays. He was also so helpful, starting dinner for me on nights when I knew I'd be home late.

One of my favorite memories was a cake recipe that Austin wanted to try and make. Luckily, at the age of 5 his short attention and memory kept us from actually baking it but I did get the chance to record it in his words. I'll share it below. It still brings a smile to my face and warms my heart.

Austin's Cake Recipe:
3 eggs - boiled
3 c water
1 c sugar
5 apples
salt
carrots
mashed potatoes
meatballs
Put water in a pan. Get salt in your hand and sprinkle it all around. Get the yellow stuff out of the eggs. Keep whites. Cut in little pieces. Cut apple skin off and stir cut up apples in bowl with eggs. Add sugar, meatballs, carrots, potatoes and a little coke.
Put in stove for about 30 minutes. Take out and add mashed potatoes on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...